Accommodations and Travel
Hotel Reservations and Meals
Accommodations and meals are provided by the conference venue, the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, a four-star hotel on the shores of Lake Louise.
Participants are responsible for booking their own accommodations with the hotel.
Accommodations and meals at the Chateau Lake Louise are available as a package at these special rates until 16 January 2014 only:
- Single Occupancy: $280 + tax and service charge per night (includes includes breakfast, lunch and dinner on the conference meal plan)
- Double Occupancy: $195 + tax and service charge per person per night (includes includes breakfast, lunch and dinner on the conference meal plan)
All bookings received before 20th December will be entered into a draw for one of 7 certificates granting one free room night. This certificate will cover the cost of accommodation only (not meals) for one night. It must be used in conjunction with your conference booking and can be used to extend your stay if desired. Bookings received after 20th December will not be eligible for this draw and these rates cannot be guaranteed for any bookings made after 17:00 Mountain Time (GMT -7) on 11th January 2014.
Please note that the conference rate includes all meals. While other rates available on the web may appear slightly cheaper they will not include meals and, if purchased outside the conference package, food at the Chateau is very expensive.
To book your LLWI accommodations:
- Call Fairmont central reservations toll-free 1-800-441-1414 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Some third-party websites may advertise lower room rates, but do not include the meal plan.
- In your call or email, state that you are attending the Lake Louise Winter Institute.
- Email email@example.com if you would like a boxed lunch on Monday. (Boxed lunches on other days may be reserved on-site, with 24 hours notice.)
Travelling to LLWI
The nearest major airport to Lake Louise is Calgary International Airport (YYC). This is one of Western Canada's main airports with regular daily flights to some European cities as well as most major North American destinations.
From the Airport by Shuttle Bus
Lake Louise is approximately 2-3 hours drive from the airport. Several companies operate a shuttle bus service from the airport to the Chateau Lake Louise. When booking please check that the bus will go to Chateau Lake Louise and not just Lake Louise village. The Chateau is a 10-15 minute drive uphill from the village. Most bus operators do go to the Chateau but it never hurts to check. The National Park admission fee is extra.
From the Airport by Car
The airport is served by all major car rental companies. However, please note that the parking rates for guests registered as LLWI participants is $18 per day. National Park admission fees apply.
Lake Louise is situated on the Trans-Canada Highway west of Calgary. Winter driving conditions from Calgary to Lake Louise are generally very good unless it is actually snowing at the time. Tire chains are not required!
If you are driving along the Trans-Canada Highway from British Columbia, you should be aware that there are at least two mountain passes (Rogers Pass and the Kicking Horse Pass) that may be closed in bad weather.